Friday 15 April 2022

Steel World Inc. Chapter Seventeen

 

“There were tears to begin with, of course. In the first year at least.”

 

I hoped my face showed no expression at all. I didn’t want Mr Frick to suspect what I was now thinking. 

 

“Ashlyn had thought she was going into the clinic for some work on her nose. Well that was certainly true. She came out with a beautiful nose, far better than the one she went in with, but really I’d only paid for the nose job so that the more important operation could be done. I permitted her a few weeks to remonstrate, and then I declared that time was done. Can you believe, in those first few weeks she actually threatened me with divorce? As if I would ever permit a women to divorce me. Now years later she’s very happy and understands it was all for her own good. She regularly wins prizes at baking competitions held by the Free Companions of the senior families. She has a wardrobe of lovely dresses and shoes to wear. She has coffee mornings to go to; hair and nail appointments and beauty treatment spa days with the other ladies. Yes, she is very happy.”

 

I hoped my face showed no expression at all. I really didn’t want Mr Frick to suspect what I was now thinking. 

 

“We do not do that to Free Women in London,” said Magnus. “Nor on Gor. Free Women have free will. Either a Free Woman is modest, frigid and demure to begin with, in which case such an operation is not necessary, or she is a secret slave, a natural slave, in which case her nature will become readily apparent and we will give her what she craves, but is too scared to beg for – a collar.”

 

“The world is changing, Karl,” said Frick. “London isn’t dominant anymore. Our Free Women need our help if they are to be demure, modest and respectable. New Feminism is just the beginning.”

 

Magnus nodded. “So it seems.”

 

“Time is getting on,” said Frick as he checked his watch. “This has all been entertaining, but I should see and approve the quality of the merchandise before it’s loaded into the van. The fillies need to be at the airfield by six.”

 

“And I need to be going soon, myself,” said Magnus. He turned to me. “I have business in Amsterdam. It will take me away for a few days, but when I’m back, Simon, we shall talk some more. You’ve demonstrated you have potential, and I’m going to make you an offer when I’m back. It will be a very good offer.”

 

“Yes, Sir.” I gazed down at Miss Madison. She was chained by my feet.  But she was still my manager.

 

“If you’re thinking in terms of Emily, let me assure you she won’t be your manager going forward.”

 

“What?” Miss Madison glanced up, troubled by that remark. Why would she no longer be Simon’s manager?

 

“I’m moving Simon to a position with more authority. I’m putting him in charge of Enterprise Resource Planning and Modular Design.”

 

“But that’s my department!”

 

“You’re being reassigned, Emily. You’ll be moved to a non-operational division. You’ve been working too hard recently. You need an easier job, with less responsibility, and less authority, I think.”

 

Miss Madison looked up at me with alarm. I would be taking over her position in the company? She would, in effect, be demoted?

 

“You’re making a mistake, Karl! He isn’t dominant. He can’t handle that kind of responsibility. He won’t be able to handle the girls we procure. Not like me.”

 

“I think he’s handled you quite well,” said Frick. “What did you say to him just now? The words that came freely to your mind as you served him?”

 

Miss Madison blushed. “Those words didn’t mean anything, of course. I’m simply a good actress. You know the words didn’t mean anything.”

 

“Repeat the words. Just so we both understand what Simon inspired you to say.”

 

She blushed some more. “A slave called Emily offers her master wine. A girl called Emily is his to use, if it pleases him.” She seemed furious, but also completely helpless. “I thought it was quite a clever phrase. I’ve heard girls in the training kennels use them before, or words like them. I am a talented actress.”

 

Frick nodded. “And before that? The phrase before that, specifically?” 

 

"I am a slave girl. I serve you, kneeling and collared. I am wet and needy. Take me later to the alcove.” Mis Madison blushed. Perhaps she felt the words as she said them again. Felt them deep in her belly.

 

“Quite. I think he had you responding perfectly. Responding as a feminine woman does. A feminine woman who doesn’t have to search too hard to speak the words that she secretly feels.”

 

“I hate you all!” she hissed as she moved, the palm of her left hand supporting her weight as she lay on her side, sitting up. She shook her hair again and scratched her nails in frustration against the floor. “This chain! This collar!”

 

To the side, Mr Frick chuckled at her outburst. 

 

“I suppose you’re going to tell me that in Pittsburgh your women aren’t free to say things like that?” said Magnus with a smile.

 

“No, they speak like that all the time. It’s very familiar. We put up with it, if they are free.”

 

Magnus nodded. “Some things never change.”

 

“What is different in Pittsburgh is that our Free Women don’t hold positions of authority. You know, Magnus, that I am a committed Gorean. I admire every aspect of Gorean culture, and the six months I spent on Gor when I was sixteen - when the Fricks routinely send their young sons away to learn and experience first-hand - those six months were a time of exploration and study that I shall never forget. I love Gor with all my heart. But I have never understood why Goreans in the service of the Steel Worlds routinely assign Free Women to their most sensitive operations.”

 

“They make good agents,” said Magnus.

 

“They do not,” said Frick. “They are commonly vain, over confident, arrogant, sexually frustrated, rash, unable to inspire the unhappy men who are required to work for them, and worst of all, they are incompetent. The North American families do not assign women to roles of authority. If we want something done properly, we use ex-Spetsnaz mercenaries. What we don’t do is assign overall command to someone called Miss Audrey Hamilton-Jones, who has a French Dresser full of Victoria’s Secret underwear back at home.” Frick looked down at the soft, helpless Miss Madison, chained close to his feet. “No wonder London is no longer ascendent and the North American families lead the way in the West.”

 

“Karl, please, you can’t move me sideways to manage another division!”

 

“I think that is the least of your concerns now, girl,” said Frick. He turned his attention back towards Magnus. “Are you really going to pretend you didn’t hear anything?”

 

“Perhaps now isn’t the best time,” said Magnus. He didn’t look very happy. “Shall we go and inspect your consignment?”

 

“First things first,” said Frick. “Are you really going to pretend you didn’t hear anything? Is this what you have become, Karl?”

 

“She’s an English woman. She isn’t Gorean. We make allowances. We obviously have to make allowances. The way they dress in England, for example. If we applied Gorean culture for Free Women without exception, then almost every woman in London would fall short in their choice of clothing.”

Frick waved that aside. “That I understand. It’s the same in North America. Women are not veiled and they expose their lower legs and bare arms, like slaves. It will change in time, of course. We will teach them how they comport themselves in future. We all understand that. But some things can’t be overlooked, can they?”

 

I didn’t know what Frick was getting at, but Magnus obviously did, and I sensed he had hoped the subject wouldn’t be brought up. Miss Madison sensed, too, that something was now wrong, but like me she didn’t understand what that might be. 

 

“Shall we talk about this in private, Willard?” suggested Magnus.

 

“Why?” He gazed down at the chained figure of Miss Madison again. “What’s done is done, isn’t it?”

 

“What are you talking about?” asked Miss Madison. “I don’t like this roundabout way of talking. You’re talking about me, obviously.” She shook her head, arrogantly. “I have served the wine, and now I want to be freed.”

 

“You declared yourself a slave,” said Frick. “Do you have any familiarity with Gorean merchant law? The moment a Free Woman declares herself a slave, whatever the context, she instantly becomes one. Her legal status is irrevocably altered. She cannot take back the words. The simplest form of doing so is of course to utter the phrase ‘la kajira’, meaning ‘I am a slave girl’ in English. Gorean law makes it easy and convenient for the female to submit, though out of courtesy she should speak those words while kneeling, perhaps bowing her head and crossing her wrists as she offers them to a man for binding.”

 

There was silence for a moment as Miss Madison considered and then rejected that.

 

“This isn’t funny, Karl.” She sat up on the floor and touched her collar. “Mr Frick’s joke is in poor taste.” When Magnus didn’t immediately reply, Miss Madison quickly added, “I would like this chain removed. I want this collar removed. At once!”

 

“Simon, do you have the key?” Miss Madison looked up at me.

 

“I do, yes.”

 

“Good. Give it to me.”

 

I felt Frick’s eyes warning me now. I did not give Miss Madison the key to either the chain or to the collar.

 

She looked frustrated.

 

“I suppose you want to unlock the chain yourself, to prove some sort of mastery over me, Simon.” She shook her hair in an angry manner. “Very well, if that makes you happy.” She tilted her head so that I could easily access either the lock clasp on the collar ring, or the lock on the collar itself. I of course reached for neither. 

 

“I said I want to be unchained!”

 

“Are you really that stupid?” said Frick to Miss Madison. “You enslaved yourself, under Gorean merchant law. You have been a slave now for over fifteen minutes. You are no longer a Free Woman.”

 

“No!” There was fear in her eyes, but also a realisation that Frick wasn’t joking. “No, please!

 

“Nadu!” he said.

 

To my surprise, Miss Madison did as she was told without protest. It was almost as if she knew only too well what might happen to a slave girl if she was in any way disobedient or slow to respond to a command from a man. As if the penalties might be severe to a magnitude infinitely beyond the penalties applied to a recalcitrant Free Woman. She adopted the nadu position that I had seen before, kneeling, with her thighs parted, her back straight and the palms of her hands resting on those lovely thighs. I have to admit it is a beautiful way for women to be posed before a man. How natural it looks. 

 

But I could tell from Miss Madison’s expression that this wasn’t now some sort of consensual bondage game. This was very real to her. 

 

She trembled uncontrollably as she knelt there.

 

“Willard, she is unaware of Gorean merchant law. She is unfamiliar with the words of enslavement that a Free Woman may speak on Gor. She wouldn’t have spoken those words had she known.”

 

“That makes no difference on Gor. Self-enslavement is self-enslavement. Are you going soft, Karl? After all these years surrounded by Earth women? You don’t even own a personal slave, do you?”

 

“I have no need for one. I have a kennel full of slaves in this house. I use them as and when I wish.”

 

“A man needs a personal slave in his own collar. Or a dozen or so, in my case. I would swiftly grow bored with just one.”

 

It occurred to me that Karl Magnus didn’t really want to enslave Miss Madison. I found that interesting. He seemed to care for her. Was he… in love with her?

 

“But she isn’t on Gor, and so Gorean merchant law doesn’t apply. She is an Earth woman living in London. Again, we have to accept the reality of the situation and make allowances, Willard,” said Magnus.

 

“Listen to you, Karl. You’re Gorean, yet I sound more Gorean than you do. Do you have feelings for this girl?”

 

“No.” Karl’s face was impassive. 

 

“Are you secretly in love with her? Do you somehow imagine she is exempt from the collar, no matter her behaviour?”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous, Willard. We are not on Gor,” said Magnus. He seemed uncomfortable with the accusation. 

 

“Ah, so, if we were on Gor…”

 

“Then, yes, that would be different. She would be enslaved. But this is London, on Earth. I could not tolerate such words from a Free Woman on Gor. But Miss Madison has never been to Gor.”

 

“Except, she has,” said Frick with a winning smile. “And so, by your own admission, Karl, she has enslaved herself.”

 

“I have not been to Gor!” said Miss Madison. I could see she was telling the truth. Although I still had no idea what they were talking about. They made it sound like some other planet entirely. Preposterous. It was some sort of mass delusion in this house. 

 

“Correct me if I’m wrong, Karl, but this house and grounds is Gor. As are the other embassy houses across the world. We consider the properties to be an extension of Gorean territory, and therefore all laws on Gor apply here with equal measure. The moment the girl stepped over the threshold, she entered Gor. And by your own admission, you cannot therefore ignore her declaration of self-enslavement.”

 

There was no mistaking that Magnus was now trapped. Frick had delivered an argument that Magnus could not repudiate. 

 

“Karl, please,” begged Miss Madison. She did not dare move from her slave position. “I didn’t know! I didn’t know!” 

 

“This is Gor,” said Magnus, sadly.

 

“And so?” prompted Frick. 

 

“You are a slave, Emily. You have been for the last twenty minutes.”

 

“No! Pease, no!” Her collar chain jingled as her body shook.

 

“Do not break position,” warned Frick. “I will overlook your failure to call men master since you were enslaved, as it appears you are an ignorant barbarian, but you will be careful to speak clearly and appropriately from now on.”

 

From the rising and falling of Miss Madison’s lovely breasts in that tight tunic, I could see panic was setting in.

 

No, Magnus didn’t seem happy with any of this. Again, I thought that was very interesting. 

 

“One question remains, of course,” said Frick. “At present she is a slave, yes, but she hasn’t been claimed. Who then will claim her as his property?”

 

On an impulse I began to speak. “I…”

 

I was silenced as Frick raised a finger in warning to my face.

 

“Not so eager, boy. It’s not your place.” He smiled. “I can understand your desire to own your first slave, but in this house our host has precedence.” He gazed again at Magnus. “Do you claim this slave?”

 

He had little choice, it seemed.

 

“I do.”

 

“Kiss the feet of your master,” said Frick.

 

Miss Madison sobbed as she moved and lowered her lips to Karl’s shoes. I watched as she licked and kissed them. 

 

Frick seemed to guess what I was thinking. “He won’t free her, boy. That would be a sign of weakness. There is a saying on Gor: only a fool frees a slave. Isn’t that right, Karl?”

 

Magnus nodded. 

 

“But don’t worry, boy. You’ll own your first slave in good time.” He slapped me about the shoulder. “All good things come to those who wait. Come with me. I think you’ll enjoy viewing the merchandise I’m flying back to Pittsburgh this morning.”

 

“I am away in Amsterdam for a few days, Emily,” said Magnus as the girl looked up at him with a pleading expression. “You will be caged in the kennels in this house with the other girls until I am back. I will brand you myself on my return.”

12 comments:

  1. Emily will adjust to her new reality. She will become Karl's love slave I think. Not such a bad fate after all.

    Looking forward to confirming the identity of the girls going to the airfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to finding out more of the fate of Kells.

      Delete
    2. I have one more episode in mind. It will answer some questions and leave others open to speculation.

      Delete
  2. Frick is, presumably related to the steel magnate Henry Frick, who thought it was a good idea to turn armed guards loose on his own workers, killing ten of them and was subsequently shot himself by a well known anarchist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was where I got the name and some of the inspiration for the character. Not the quiet watchful part, of course.

      Delete
    2. Quite OOC here, a moment of deja vu. About two weeks ago I finished reading Jonathan Lowy's 'The Temple of Music', a fictionalized account of the assassination of William McKinley in 1901. The 1892 Homestead Strike, and the related attempt on Frick's life, figure prominently in the novel (and perhaps in real life as well) as events leading to McKinley's assassination.

      Delete
    3. O/T That is interesting Pipa, I will look for the novel. The assassination of McKinley let to the Presidency of Theodore Roosevlt and the Panama Canal. A good book about the Canal which is history but reads like a story is The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870–1914 by David McCullough

      Delete
  3. WPC Arlene Colton was on her day off. She was at a tattoo parlour that catered to women, indeed had women tattooists as well as men. She was having more work done on a tattoo on her lower abdomen, left hand site. It was of a panther, leaping from her left hep towards upwards, one of its front paws, claws extended reaching for her navel. She was having more work done on the extended paw, and the claws, and filling in some more colouring on the body, defining the sleek, feline musculature of the rear haunches as they propelled the creature in attack.
    Arlene Colton was listening to a client talking to her artist friend in the next booth.
    "I saw it when she came in for a procedure. You know I moved to work in a private clinic, right?"
    "What kind of clinic?"
    "A cosmetic clinic for enhancing girls."
    "So, a breast augmentation, a boob job?", giggled the artist as the tattoo gun whirred.
    "No, just the opposite, having them taken out, the fake boobs, I mean. She said her master liked his women natural."
    Arlene Colton snorted. Her tattooist, who was also concentration on the conversation in the next booth, asked if she was alright. "Just a little nausea," answered Arlene. That part was true, the idea of a woman depending on a man, submitting to his whims repulsed her. That was part of the reason for the panther tattoo; a solitary powerful creature she admired, who certainly did not submit to the King of the Beasts with his vain display of mane.

    The conversation continued in the next booth.
    "It was in recovery when she was using the bedpan that I saw it. YOu know they don't where anything under the gown. In case anything happens you know, can't have constricting clothing."
    The artist interrupted, "I hate those gowns, they're so short, and the back don't close, and they are soooo skimpy. They practically show off more than they cover."
    "The doctors like them," said the client dryly continuing, "that's when I saw it, a brand on her left thigh."
    "A tattoo made to look like a brand? I saw a picture of one like that once, shaped like a k it was, very pretty and feminine, done by a real artist."
    "No listen, I'm a nurse, I was there, I touched, traced it with my fingers. It was a real brand, burned in to her body." The client was adamant.
    "What did she say, I bet she was really embarrassed. Must of got super drunk at a hen do abroad." The artist was thrilled and scandalized. She could tell this story for weeks.
    "That's the thing, she was proud of it! She said her 'Master' had branded her personally and that he didn't do that for just any of his girls." The nurse was breathless as she delivered this scandalous piece of news.
    "'All his girls', what is he, a sheik with a harem?" Asked the artist as the girls next door dissolved into nervous laughter.
    Arlene vowed she would never ever let herself be branded or mastered by a man. The artist working on the panther tattoo looked far away and more ambivalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true.
      Please forgive the typos, everyone. It is what happens when I type a story directly into the comment box instead of writing and proof reading.

      Delete
  4. Willard Frick had been surprised to discover that Emily was not already a branded slave when he first saw her in a tunic. It explained why he had not been offered her use when he had expressed interest on earlier trips to London. He was annoyed that Magnus intended to keep her for himself apparently and not share her with his guests, Simon and himself. He was sure that Magnus harboured feelings for the girl, and that was why he had hesitated to enslave her and why he had asserted House Right to place Emily in his collar, rather than resigning that right in favour of Simon, who had, after all, collared Emily and received her submission.
    Still, his unusual forthrightness and rudeness tonight had unsettled Magnus, and that was to his deeper purpose of becoming the Kur's lead earthly agent. Already Magnus was making mistakes. Normally the head of the London operation was smoother and would have headed the whole thing off earlier. The mess ups in Oxford and Sussex too did not reflect well on the Hampstead mission.
    Suddenly a thought came to him. Had Magnus's time on earth started to make him soft? Was he picking up some of the characteristics of the men of the Slave World.
    Frick filed that away for further thought. He knew that the greatest error is to underestimate the opponent and that the wish was father to the thought.
    Magnus could be feinting; he might not even be too upset that Emily ended up in his collar. Never underestimate the opponent, whether a rival agent or the isolated and scattered agents of the Priest Kings.

    ReplyDelete