Monday 19 December 2022

The Paga Diaries (15) by Arizona Wanderer: ‘Stabilization’

 

Penny was waiting for me, having arrived at our meeting spot early, before the sixth ahn.  I was very happy to see her.  I woke up this morning, intent on coming here, in hopes that she would show up, despite the lack of a prior arrangement.  She looked good this morning, with a clean camisk, and her usual smile and bright blue eyes.  She knelt in nadu on the side of the street as I approached and her neck bell rang.  She said, “Tal Master. You have been cured even more! There is no sign of withering on you.”

 

“Yes Penny, thank you.  We find breakfast,” I said.

 

“Yes Master!”

 

We didn’t have to walk far before we found a street vendor that was making fresh pastries.  I bought  one with meat and melting cheese and Penny chose a sweet one with berries.   We ate them steamy hot, before starting our walk.

 

“You did not come, when we arranged,” I said.

 

“No Master, I am sorry.  I could not come then.”

 

“Army camps?” I asked.

 

“Yes Master,” she said, her smile fading.

 

“You in camps for long time?” I asked.

 

“Yes Master, I am not to speak of it.”

 

“I know. You have told about them before, Penny.  I won’t tell your Master that you spoke,” I said.

 

“It was bad Master, My chain sisters and I did not enjoy the camps this time,” she said.  I felt like she wanted to talk about it, even though she had been forbidden by her master.

 

“Bad how?” I prompted.

 

“Many of the soldiers had just returned to the camps from fighting with Corcyrus forces. They did not look victorious. They were not celebrating. They were angry and frustrated. Many of them had blank stares and no interest in kajirae. The angry ones were cruel and heavy handed with the whip. My chain sisters and I were terrified!  One of my sisters had her hair shorn for not pleasing two masters at the same time.  She accidentally tipped over and broke a large paga vessel while they were positioning her for use.  They beat her severely and cut off her hair when they finished with her.  And my Master did nothing!  I hate soldiers!” She said and began sobbing, falling to her knees on the ground. 

 

I did not know how to respond.  I wanted to comfort her, but how?  She was a slave and could be treated in any manner of ways by masters, cruel or not.  Telling her that wasn’t going to comfort her.  I put my hand on her shoulder and ran my fingers through her blond hair.  I told her, “You okay now Penny. You not in camp now.”

 

She cried for a few more ehn, before I had her get up and start walking, hoping to continue with my tutoring of all things Gorean.

 

She told me more about the army camps.  How she used to look forward to serving in them, taking a break from walking the streets with a coinbox and bell. She enjoyed providing comfort to soldiers who were normally very happy to see kajirae serving tents and stalls in their camp.  She told me she was a natural slave who enjoyed pleasing men and that pleasing strong proud warriors was a privilege.  She said her Master was usually very happy as well during these camp visits, popular among the soldiers and treating his slaves well afterwards with rewards and treats.  

 

But lately the soldiers were different.  Not all soldiers are warriors, belonging to that caste.  Many soldiers now were conscripts from the city and other outlying areas, allied with Argentum.  The regiments now had less warriors among their ranks.  I knew nothing of Gorean warfare, but as a former soldier, I knew that not having seasoned veterans to guide and set examples for new soldiers was a problem for any army.

 

We walked through several neighbourhoods, some of them new to me, while I pointed at things that Penny could teach me about.  The words for them, purpose, and possible cultural meanings associated with them. She was a natural teacher and her smile returned while she tutored me.  I enjoyed her company.  Our four ahn passed quickly and I bought us some lunch before we returned to our meeting spot.  I led her into the now familiar curved alley, muffled her irritating neck bell and put her to use on the back steps, taking her from behind.  Afterwards I deposited the coins into her coinbox.  She agreed to meet me again in the morning, if she was able. 

 

After she left, I walked to Mirus’s house.  Today I was to start my course of stabilization serums, to retard aging now that my age regression treatments were complete.  Mirus had regressed my age to about twenty-four and the stabilization would keep me there for many decades and longer.  The serums were injections that were administered in four doses, one every day for four days. 

 

I had also asked Mirus about exchanging some of the gemstones that I had brought with me from Earth.  I was running out of coins, partially from the silver loan to Trem.  He had seemed surprised by this request, but eager to see what I had.  I brought them with me today, in a small pouch that rested in my handy, custom made pocket. 

 

As I was walking through Mirus’s very wealthy neighbourhood, rain clouds were forming and a light rain started to fall by the time I got to his enormous house, or mansion.  I banged on the door and was let inside by Fen, Mirus’s assistant.  I wore my sword today and hoped it wouldn’t be a problem in his household.  Tereus had taken issue with it before and I had to surrender it to him.  Now that I had been here a few times for treatment, I assumed the presence of my sword would not be offensive.

 

I waited in the large foyer inside the entryway to the house while Fen, went to tell Mirus I had arrived.  Fen came back and took me down a hallway that I had not seen before and we entered a room.  It looked to be a patient examination room, painted green with no windows.  There was a large flat stone examination table with a white blanket on it.  It was odd to see metal rings set into the corners of this table.  There were shelves with glass vials sitting on them.  A cabinet with closed doors was on a wall near the shelves.  I stood in the room, a little nervous, as I waited for Mirus.  

 

“Tal, Rykart,” Mirus said as he entered the examination room. 

 

“Tal,” I replied.

 

“How are you feeling?  Are you experiencing anything unusual?” 

 

“No Sir, I feel good.”  And I did, more than just good actually, I felt great, exhilarated, full of youth and vigour.  “Thank you for curing me,” I said.

 

“It is nothing. Everyone on Gor has the right to being cured and stabilized.  I see you are wearing a sword today.  Do you have training with a sword?”

 

“No training, but it is assuring,” I replied, hoping I said that right.

 

“Be careful drawing such a weapon on Gor.  To brandish it is very serious and often leads to someone’s death, very possibly your own if you confront one trained in its ways.  You should seek training with the sword if you are going to carry one.”

 

“Yes Sir. Do you know someone who trains?” I  struggled to ask.

 

“Perhaps. We can discuss later.  Take it off and put in on the shelf.”

 

I took it off and thought about reminding him how I had used the sword to fend off Trem’s attackers in the alleyway: Neris and Otho.  I thought better of it, and did not mention it, not wanting to argue.  He was right, if I were to carry a sword, I should know how to use it. 

 

“Remove your tunic and lie on the examination table. I am going to inject the serum into your thigh. It is painful,” he said.

 

It was painful! The pain lasted a few ehn and then faded. I put my tunic on and then my sword.  I brought out my pouch with the gemstones.  I did not know the word for gemstones and especially the names for each type.  Mirus watched me as I poured them out onto the exam table.  He was expressionless as he saw four gems roll out of the pouch.  There was an oval emerald, an oval aquamarine, a square sapphire and a round ruby, each with exquisite, faceted cuts.

 

“May I?” he asked.  

 

“Yes, please,” I replied. 

 

He picked up each one and looked at them separately, turning them about, seeing the shimmering reflected light shine off the finely cut surfaces.  “Very nice, let’s go upstairs to my office and discuss these,” he said.

 

I put the gems back in the pouch and followed him out of the examination room.  We walked down the hallway  and came to a stairway, which we went up.  I had not been on this floor.  We walked down another hallway and into a room that had a large desk in it.  This was the first desk I had seen on Gor, but outside of taverns, I had not been in many buildings.  Goreans seem to be very spartan when it comes to furniture.  There was also a low table in the office with three floor cushions spread around it.  I was surprised to see a small couch in the room as well, with the ever present metal rings attached at the corners. Goreans don’t skimp on the placement of slave rings. Is it for convenience of slave discipline or is it that the sight of them serves as a reminder to slaves of their status?  Probably both, but to an Earthman, seeing slave rings everywhere seemed excessive.  I wondered how often slaves entered this office, other than to clean, and how often they were secured to one of these rings. 

 

The office was very nice.  There were thick patterned rugs on the tile floor.  It had dark wood panelling on the walls and there were windows where I could see the rain outside.  There was also a door leading out to a balcony, which overlooked the pool in the courtyard.  I was impressed and a little intimidated with the wealth of Mirus’s home.  He went to a cabinet and took out a glass bottle with red liquid in it and a stopper on top.  He placed the bottle and two metal cups, with tiny ornate legs, like on a  paga cup, on the low table.  He then grabbed a white tube and also set it on the table.  He motioned me to sit at the table, which I did, sitting on a floor cushion.  He sat opposite me on another cushion.

 

“Let’s look at your gemstones,” he said, and I learned the word for them.

 

I once again emptied the four gemstones from the pouch, this time onto the low table.

 

“Can Lina translate?” I asked.

 

Mirus hesitated before answering, “Yes, your Gorean is getting better, especially for the short time I have known you, but you still aren’t fluent. Normally, slaves are not present for business, but in your case, it is a reasonable request.”  I didn’t understand everything he said, but I gathered that my Gorean was still poor. 

 

 Mirus went out to the hallway and yelled “Tereus, bring Lina to my office!”

 

He then went to his desk and collected something, it looked like a round piece of glass.  He then sat and poured the red liquid into the two glasses and handed me one.  I was surprised that he didn’t wait for Lina to serve us.  He said a toast which I didn’t understand and we drank.  It tasted like wine.  It was robust, full bodied, with a nice aftertaste that coated my mouth.  It reminded me of Cabernet. 

 

“Do you like Ka-la-na?” he asked.

 

“I have not had red. This is good,” I replied.

 

He picked up the white tube and with an audible click, it became alive with bright white light.  I was a little surprised, I didn’t know technology like this existed on Gor, except for the spaceships of course.  I was reminded of the tarn goad and had wondered how it was powered.  He placed the light stick on the table and picked up the square emerald.  The emerald had a rich green colour and the faceted cuts shimmered all on their own.  He placed the round piece of glass over the emerald and looked through it.  It was a magnifying glass without a handle.  I took a sip of my wine.  I knew the emerald was a premium stone on Earth and hoped it had a high value on Gor.  He placed the emerald over the light and it glowed a beautiful green.  He set it down and took a sip of his wine.  I took another sip as well. 

 

Tereus came into the office with Lina following him, a leash attached to her collar.  She seemed surprised to see me.  Her hands were secured behind her back, braceleted as Goreans say.  Mirus told her to kneel next to me at the table.  She wore a dirty meagre camisk that had numerous holes and tears in it.  It was very short, revealing the bottom of her ass cheeks.  Her blond hair was tied back.  Her lower lip was swollen and bruised.  As she went to kneel before me, I noticed red welts on the back of both of her thighs. Her face looked like it was slightly stained with tear trails that had dried.  She knelt with her legs spread wide and her head up, eyes forward, not looking at anything.  

 

Mirus took another sip of wine and so did I.  Tereus left the room and the leash remained on her collar, now laying on the floor behind her.  Mirus told her that she would translate for us. 

 

“Where did you get these gemstones?” he had Lina ask me, which she did, looking at me.

 

 “I brought them from Earth,” I said. 

 

“You came to me to sell these?” 

 

“Yes, some, depending on how much they are worth. Trem told me to ask you before I sought out a jeweller or anyone else.  He said you would make sure that I got a fair price,” I said.  Lina took a quick glance at the gems on the table before translating to her master. 

 

“You said some of the gems. Do you have more than these four?”

 

“I have more than these.  I want to start with these, seeing how much they are worth,” I said.

 

“Trem was right to recommend me. I think these stones are very valuable and the four of them will make you very comfortable in Argentum.  I am not an expert but I would like to have them appraised before I give you an offer.  Is it acceptable for me to keep them for a day or two? I will give you a gold tarn today, as an advance payment.”

 

“Yes, that is acceptable. Instead of a gold tarn, is it possible to have the silver equivalent.  I don’t want to have to find somewhere that will provide an exchange for me, especially as a barbarian,” I said.

 

“Of course Rykart. I will give you silver instead.  Before I saw these gems, I was going to ask what you intended to do with your time on Gor.  If you have any skills or aspirations for a career in our city?  What was your occupation on Earth?”

 

I didn’t think telling Mirus that on Earth, I was a wanderer.  He would not understand.  In my fifty years on Earth, I had done quite a lot.  I had served as a soldier in the Army, graduated from college, held various jobs and worked many years in construction.  For most of my years wandering, my focus was seeking solitude in the canyons, mountains and rivers of the American Southwest.  I was actively escaping the oppression of big cities, our ‘civilized’ culture, and arrogant indecisive women with ridiculous standards.  I worked temporary jobs as a handyman and other things, earning enough money to take time off, spending as much time in nature as I could, until I needed money again.  In the end, I worked for the Organization long enough to earn a trip to Gor.  I was forbidden to talk about my work for the Organization.

 

“Among other things, I was a skilled Carpenter on Earth,” I said to Mirus.  Without electric power tools, working as a carpenter on Gor would be awkward and very time consuming.  I was confident that I could adapt to Gorean methods and tools if I had to. 

 

“Carpentry, a sub caste of the Builders, is respectable. With the wealth you have in these gems you will be tempted to pursue Gorean pleasures, such as lusting after kajirae and drink. Many men here who find wealth, quickly become addicted to these pleasures and become worthless drunkards, devoid of ambition or purpose. Idleness is not approved of in Gorean culture and is against the law in most cities, including Argentum. Citizens are expected to pursue endeavours within their caste.  You are a barbarian, so some tolerance may be afforded to you, but I advise you not to languish in your wealth. You will live a long life now, and eventually your wealth will diminish, unless you pursue some sort of career. Gor is full of opportunity and you should take full advantage of it.”

 

“Thank you, I have ambition and I am eager to assimilate and become fully Gorean,” I said.

 

“Good. I am part owner of a builder shop, where things are being made from wood. We are always looking for talented help. Perhaps you would be interested in working there, starting as a Sawyer, progressing your way up as you learn our methods?  It would do you good to work alongside other Goreans, making friends and fully learning our language and customs.”

 

“Thank you. Your offer is generous and I will consider it,” I said.  It was a good offer even though I really had no interest in working as a sawyer, which was mostly just working as a labourer with a saw in hand.  My passion was with tarns, but I did not want to tell Mirus that now.

 

“Do you know of the Dautium market square, an area here in Argentum?” he asked.

 

“No, I have not heard of it,” I replied.

 

“It is a favourite part of the city for many male citizens. It is also a perfect example of the Gorean pleasures that I warned you not to overindulge in.  Would you care to accompany me there this afternoon, as my treat?”

4 comments:

  1. Story moving along very well, Authors writing flows nicely keeping the reader's interest. Rykart needs to have Mirus also help to acquire Penny. He would know just how to buy so Rykart would not be taken advantage of. I see down the road more tales of Rykart's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the war going the way that it is, Rykart, who already owns a sword, may find himself conscripted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting Rykart of Aregentum vs Roland of Corcyrus ,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even with being a veteran, Rykart wouldn’t take well to concription, He was a soldier in the US Army, which hasn’t conscripted anyone in 50 years. Though service in Argentum forces would do wonders at making him Gorean, learning the language, customs and the sword.
    If he knew that Argentum was in peril, his best bet would be to put the gemstones in his custom pocket and take to wandering. Go West young man!

    ReplyDelete