Sunday 4 August 2024

The Shadow in the Dark (Part Two)

 

I searched the glove compartment again, turning it inside out, and then searched around the front seats in the foolish notion that my gun and badge could possibly have fallen out of a locked compartment during the crash. 

 

As if.

 

This was clearly impossible. The glove compartment is locked at all times. How could my gun and badge be missing? I had put them both there at the beginning of my drive.

 

I slipped back out onto the mud slope and felt the rain ease up a little in its intensity. How was I going to explain this? A Fed does not lose these things. This was about as bad as it could get. I was going to be in a serious mountain of trouble when I reported the theft. 

 

Once I accepted the reality of the situation, I made my way round the side of my Toyota Camry, sinking into the mud with each heel step and tried to pop the boot. Try as I might, it wouldn’t open. The crash must have jammed the locking mechanism, which meant my luggage was now completely out of reach. All I had were the clothes I was wearing and my handbag that I had managed to find from inside the car where it had been thrown onto one of the back seats during the crash. That was something, at least. 

 

Bit by bit, seizing tree roots as handholds, I pulled myself up the wet slope until I reached the road. A section of briar bush had clearly been obliterated where my Toyota had ploughed through it when I’d tried desperately to avoid hitting the naked girl. Talking of which, I searched the length and breadth of the country road but found no sign of her, or, rather, no sign of her injured/dead body. For a brief moment I wondered whether I might have imagined her. A naked woman running onto a road in the middle of a rain storm? Really?

 

Well I’d seen something. It might only have been a brief second or two, but I had certainly reacted to a flash of movement that looked like a naked girl.

 

“Hello?” I called out, turning to my left and right as the rain continued to soak me to my skin. “Where are you? Are you all right?”

 

There was no response, just the steady sound of rain drumming against the tarmac. 

 

I felt stiff and sore and all I really wanted was to lie down in a bed, but that was hardly an option out here in the middle of nowhere. How far was I going to have to walk until the road led me to a house somewhere? And could I even walk that far, bruised and battered as I was? 

 

All journeys begin with the first step, as the saying goes. I took that first step and then the second, but then from some distance behind me I heard the approaching sound of a car engine. I stopped, turned, and stepped back to the side of the road in anticipation of flagging down whatever vehicle was coming towards me. I saw the bright headlights first of all, and raised as they were above the usual level of a car, I guessed it was some sort of truck bearing down on me.

 

Frantically I began waving down the vehicle, stepping out just far enough that I might be seen, but not so far that I couldn’t jump back to the safety of the brambles and briar thorns if the truck wasn’t intending to stop. 

 

“Help!” I shouted. “Please help me!”

 

The flatbed truck came to rest twenty feet from where I stood on the road, close enough that I was now illuminated by the bright cones cast from its headlights. I could hear the engine softly ticking over as the driver must have considered what to do next. 

 

“Hello!” I called out as I shielded my eyes from the bright light. “I need help! My car crashed close to the river. Please can you help me?”

 

There was no reply, just the steady thrum of the truck’s engine. 

 

“I don’t know where I am. Is there a town nearby?” I held my bare hands out in the open to show I wasn’t holding a weapon of some kind. “Please, Sir, I could really use a lift to a nearby station.”

 

I heard the truck door open and through the bright illumination of the headlights I could just about make out a broad shouldered figure stepping down onto the road.

 

“You alone, Miss?” He seemed to be holding what looked like a pump action shotgun. Obviously the driver wasn’t taking any chances, and I could hardly blame him. “If you have anyone hiding out in them bushes, now would be a good time to show yourselves.”

 

“It’s just me.” The light was blinding, but I didn’t think it would be a good idea for me to step away from the light. The truck driver might be the nervous type. 

 

“Turn round, Miss,” he said. “A full circle, if you please.” I did as he instructed and turned lightly on the balls of my feet a full three hundred and sixty degrees.

 

“Not a good night for you to be walking the road,” he said.

 

“My car is down the slope, banged up against a tree stump. Please can you help me, Sir?”

 

“Walk slowly towards the truck and keep your hands where I can see them,” said the driver. “I ain’t taking no chances, if you know what I mean.”

 

“I understand, but it’s not a trick. If you look down the slope you’ll see my car.”

 

“Not going to do that, Miss. Not taking my eyes off you just yet.”

 

He told me to stop when I was six feet or so from the truck cab. 

 

“I’m FBI,” I said, hoping that might reassure him. “My name is Ashlee Ellis.”

 

“You’re a Fed?”

 

“That’s right.”

 

“Got some kind of fancy badge you want to show me?”

 

“Not to hand, no, Sir.”

 

“Doesn’t matter. Don’t much like Feds, anyway.”

 

I’d heard that one before. “Well, I’m sorry about that, but I’m a woman who needs your help. I’m not sure I’ll be able to walk very far before I fall down.”

 

“Guess I can’t just leave you out here then.” He raised the shotgun so that it pointed upwards, the barrel resting against his shoulder. “The name’s Henry Bryant.”

 

“Thank you, Henry. Can I possibly get out of the rain? I’m soaked to the skin.”

 

“Guess you are, and all that.” He motioned for me to walk round to the passenger side of the cab. As I did so I caught sight of a number of large packing crates stacked on the flatbed. There were eight in total, each one measuring approximately three feet square. The crates were secured in place with cables attached to either side of the truck. There were also a couple of sacks resembling feed sacks for farm animals. 

 

“If you can just drive me to the nearest town,” I began to say as I climbed up and settled down beside the driver’s seat.

 

“Not heading to no town, Miss Ellis. I’ll drop you off at the service station. It’s an all-nighter so there’s people there who can help. Orchard Pines, it’s called.”

 

“That will be fine. Thank you.” As he climbed up into the cab, I got my first clear sight of Henry Bryant. He looked to be in his forties, deeply tanned, with sharply receding hair, mostly covered by a woollen hat, and about three weeks’ worth of beard growth. He seemed solidly built, significantly taller than me, with powerful shoulders. His hands were calloused and hard, suggesting a life of manual labour, and he wore a pair of cheap blue jeans, of the kind you’d buy in Walmart, and a checked, red lumberjack shirt with a white t-shirt underneath. 

 

The inside of the cab was something of a mess, with discarded beer cans by my feet and fast food wrappers stuffed behind the seats. Displayed prominently on the dashboard was an old Make America Great Again - Trump ’24 election sticker. I watched as Henry placed the shotgun into a rack space where he could quickly retrieve it, should he need to.

 

“Never had a Fed in my cab before now,” he said. He regarded me with a sideways glance and his eyes told me that my sopping wet blouse was probably sticking a little too closely to my skin right now. It was an uncomfortable moment until I closed my jacket about my bosom and then heard him make a grunt as he slammed his door shut. 

 

“I like music while I’m driving,” said Henry as he switched the radio back on. 

 

“Music’s fine.”

 

His second grunt suggested I didn’t actually have any say in the matter. 

 

An old ‘70s folk song of some kind was playing as Henry revved the engine up and took us back out onto the country road, on though the rain. .

 

… beneath the moon's unclouded light

I held awhile to Annie

The time went by with careless heed

'Till 'tween the late and early

 

With small persuasion she agreed

To see me through the barley

 

Corn rigs and barley rigs and

Corn rigs are bonnie

I'll not forget that happy night

Among the rigs with Annie

 

 

“I saw a woman,” I said, after a while, as we drove through the narrow country trails to who knows where. “It’s how I crashed my car. She ran right out in front of me on the road.”

 

“Guess you were playing with your phone?” said Henry. “You got distracted? Dangerous when you’re driving.”

 

“No. I just took my eyes off the road for a moment, and then there she was. And I think she was naked.”

 

Henry snorted a half laugh. “Ain’t no naked fillies out here in this weather. Your eyes were playing tricks on you.”

 

“I know what I saw. I’m just worried for her, that’s all. Are there any houses close to where you found me?”

 

“Nope. No houses, None to speak of, leastways. People keep to themselves round these parts.” 

 

“Well, she had to come from somewhere.”

 

“Might have been a white-tailed deer you saw. Lots of them round these parts.”

 

“I think I know the difference between a woman and a deer.”

 

“Do you, now? They teach you that at Fed school, do they?”

 

Fine. I settled back in my seat and gazed out of my side window, watching rain drops striking the pane of glass and then sliding down its surface. 

 

The sky was blue, the wind was still

The moon was shining clearly

I set her down with right goodwill

Among the rigs of barley

 

I knew her heart was my own

I loved her most sincerely

I kissed her over and over again

Among the rigs of barley

 

“Never understood why the FBI take on women,” said Henry after we’d driven a few miles in the dark. “What good are you if there’s gonna be some trouble? You reckon you can take down a man if needs be?”


“Well, Sir, I get the same training as the men in the Bureau do.”

 

Henry snorted another laugh. “Training?” he made the word sound like a joke. “Is that what you call it? They teach you some fancy kung fu, do they?”

 

“I’ve completed a couple of unarmed combat courses, yes.”

 

“I bet you did. How tall are you, Miss Ellis?”

 

I bridled a bit by that question, but I was a guest in his cab and he was helping me out, so I answered truthfully. “Five three.”

 

“Five three, and you look like you couldn’t tear a wet paper bag apart. No offence, Mis Ellis. Just speaking it the way I see it. I don’t mince my words. Seen too much to go through that shit, beggin’ your pardon.”

 

“Fine.” I hoped the ride wouldn’t be a long one. 

 

“Bit reckless of you driving all alone on the Dunwich roads. Not all folks round these parts are as decent as me. Not a good place to break down late at night in a rain storm. Not a good place at all. Could have run into just about anybody.”

 

“I was driving to meet my boyfriend. He lives in Springfield. I’m spending the weekend with him.”

 

“Is that so? He one of those modern men? The type that waxes his chest and pays ten bucks for a fancy coffee?”

 

“Martin?” I smiled to myself. “Hardly. He’s not that type.”

 

“You like real men then, Miss Ellis?” Henry regarded me, or rather what he could see of my sopping wet white blouse that wasn’t covered by my jacket. “Strong men? Men who know what they want from a girl?”

 

“Like I said, I have a boyfriend, so that’s as far as it goes.” I gave him my best back off, buddy stare. 

 

Henry laughed as he watched the road. “Hell, I’m not coming on to you, Miss Ellis. Hell, no. Got no shortage of girls back at the ranch, as the saying goes. Don’t need your skinny ass. No offence meant.”

 

“Just so we’re clear,” I said. I bit my tongue and didn’t respond to the skinny ass remark. 

 

“We’re just making conversation until I drop you off at the service station, at Orchard Pines. Henry Bryant wouldn’t leave a young girl standing on a road at nightfall. It wouldn’t be right, that’s all.”

 

“And I appreciate the lift, Sir.”

 

And then on cue, the music gave way to an ad break.

 

“Helen, just what IS your secret?” said a respectable sounding woman’s voice. “We’re all dying to know how your hair is always so glossy, vibrant, and full of life?”

 

“It’s not just my hair, Susan,” came the confident sounding reply. “Stronger nails, clearer skin, and boundless energy each morning. And I owe it all to the range of Nutri-girl Blended Wet Meal pouches.”

 

“Nutri-girl! Say, I’ve heard of that.”

 

“And so you should have, Susan. Why, the Surgeon General himself recommends Nutri-girl as the perfect combination of nutrients and protein that a healthy woman needs to juggle a demanding career, housekeeping, and raising children in the modern age! And it’s now available in five exciting flavours!”

 

“But what about treats, Helen? I’d miss my treats?”

 

“Of course you would, which is why those clever men at Nutri-girl have just launched Nutri-girl Candy treats! All the goodness of basic Nutri-girl, but as scrumptious as a box of French chocolates. Why, I have to practically beg my husband to let me have one from the treat box. Behaving myself has never been so much fun!”

 

A male voiceover closed the advert: Nutrigirl Blended Wet Meal Pouches and Nutrigirl Candy Treats, now available in five regular flavours and original Basic Blend. And speak to your husband about the revolutionary new Prescription Plus range of Nutrigirl. Become the woman he’s always dreamed you could be. 

 

I closed my eyes and sighed. I just couldn’t escape Nutri-girl ads, it seems.

 

We drove on, forever following the interminable s-bends of this hidden land, passing vague trees silhouetted now in the moonlight with branches that seemed to hang pendulously over the road – mere glimpses through the side window. I saw grey toned fields flanking the landscape, quickly disappearing in a thicket of woods. In the distance I caught a brief glimpse of some streak of a road that climbed and vanished suddenly as more trees blocked the view. Then there was a low stone bridge that caused the suspension of the flatbed truck to shake and groan as we crossed it. 

 

Without warning I suddenly sneezed, once, twice, three times.

 

“Sorry,” I said.

 

“You need to get out of those wet things, Miss Ellis.”

 

“I will. But my luggage is trapped in the boot of my car.”

 

“We’ll sort you out at Orchard Pines, Miss Ellis. Nearly there now. Just a few more miles. Yep, we’ll find you something suitable to wear. You just wait and see.” 

 

 

20 comments:

  1. Another great chapter Emma

    I saw your previous comment about terms so here are a couple things to help.
    In the States we don’t call it a boot but call it a truck or hatch depending on the type of vehicle.
    And while I knew what you meant right away with red lumberjack shirt, usually we just call the it a red flannel shirt because it’s made with flannel material which is warm and comfortable
    And you’ll pay as much for jeans at a Walmart anymore as you would just about anywhere else

    But again great job and looking forward to seeing the twists and turns that this story takes getting to the most likely end for a lone beautiful red headed woman in a Gorean story.
    Red hair that’s like bonus upgrade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my comment. I was on my tablet and it had logged me out for some reason

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Master. I’ll be correcting all those things soonish. Keep your eyes peeled for more things that stand out.

      Interesting that you say Walmart prices would be the same as any other store in the US. Over here in the UK there is a thing we call ‘Tesco denim’ and it’s a phrase used to describe pairs of jeans that can be bought dirt cheap from large supermarkets (i.e. Tescos), usually worn by 35 year old dads when they go out to drink 6 pints of lager with their ‘mates’ on a Friday night. It’s something of a derogatory term. On the other hand, young, often bearded hipsters, often working for brash and exciting Internet start-up companies, who spend silly money on frappe latte mocha-chocca cappuccino coffees, wouldn’t be caught dead dressed in ‘Tesco denim’ when out drinking in Camden Lock on a Friday night.

      But possibly you don’t have the same extremes in the US?

      Delete
  2. The man in the thumbnail looks like Jeff Sokol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea who that is and had to look him up on google. 😊 I don’t think he made the news over here. The photo I used for Henry Bryant was actually a catalogue model. Yes, I’m that desperate for usable pictures… :(

      Delete
  3. Boot = trunk in American English Also kidnapping a FBI agent would be particularly dangerous as the amount of attention it would attract from not only the FBI, but all law enforcement Anybody with any connection to her or to the area would be under enormous pressure forcing them to shut down all operations and go underground

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Master, Ashlee has something of an advantage on the usual run of the mill heroines in Gor novels, because she is employed by the FBI. The Gorean conspiracy on Earth has to tread a little more carefully with her. In theory, at least.

      Delete
  4. Henry can't afford to have a Federal agent checking out his cargo, but how will he prevent that when they get to the service station at Orchard Pines? Ashlee may find that Henry's idea of what is suitable for her to wear is not at all to her liking. Perhaps a collar and bracelets?

    Regarding British vs. American English, I think it's interesting and educational to see the different usage in British English. But if you're committed to using American English in a story, you need to replace the "ou" with "o" in words like flavor and color.

    --jonnieo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that the most senior figures of law enforcement have already been corrupted by Goreans, in the lore.

      Delete
    2. Quote: ‘But if you're committed to using American English in a story, you need to replace the "ou" with "o" in words like flavor and color.’

      You’ve just prompted me to extrapolate on a certain thing in my writing, Master. This may be a lengthy explanation, though… 😊

      I am occasionally asked about the word spelling thing. Only a week or so ago, in fact, Arizona Wanderer commented in an e-mail to me (in an amused fashion) because I ‘correct’ (or rather edit) the spelling of words in the stories he (and other American writers) sends me.

      Obviously enough I’m English, and so I operate a common standard in spelling for the blog, rather than varying it based on the nationality of each contributor. This is pretty much in line with if an American writer submitted an article for a British newspaper, the spelling would be edited to be in English, and the other way around if a British writer submitted an article to an American newspaper. Editorial would ‘correct’ the spelling based on the country of publication.

      And can I just point out with my cheeky face on, that I spell everything correctly, and it’s you lovely Americans who spell everything wrong. 😉 The language is called ‘English’ for a reason, remember. It does exactly what it says on the tin. 😉 (ducks quickly before she is spanked by her lovely American friends).

      When it comes to first person narratives, it’s worth noting that in most cases (not all), the main protagonist isn’t actually typing up a first-hand account of his adventures while he/she has them. There are some exceptions to the rule. I do vaguely recall a Lovecraft story where the protagonist is not only writing his account in real time, but there’s then the ludicrous ending when the horrible creature appears to kill him, and instead of running away he’s still writing something along the lines of ‘oh no – it’s there, in front of me, and it’s coming closer, and closer – it’s monstrous and horrible and indescribable and, and… oh no, no, keep back, keep back… no, no, no! AARRGH!” as he dies. As if he’s still literally putting pen to paper until the very last seconds of his life.

      You can’t read that story without laughing.

      But in most cases the first person narration isn’t really taking place. It’s a hypothetical narrative. So what I try to do is ensure that the ‘voice’ of the protagonist reflects a) how he/she speaks, and b) the cultural terms that would be used based on his/her nationality. Hence correcting words like boot to read trunk, sand all the other cultural points you’ve very usefully made. Please keep doing so! I want the voices to sound authentic. The spelling of the words however is irrelevant in terms of capturing the right ‘voice’ because there is no actual written account ‘to be read’. It’s just a hypothetical narration in the mind, as if the character is somehow speaking to himself.

      Which he isn’t.

      Spelling is therefore unimportant.

      In much the same way that when you read a Gor novel by John Norman, and 99.9999% of the dialogue is in English, but there are a few words like kajira and Rarius and Paga and Tarn in Gorean, this is something of an anomaly. In actual fact ALL the dialogue is in Gorean, and the characters aren’t really speaking the English words you’re reading, they’re speaking 100% Gorean. The writer has simply chosen to pepper the translated dialogue with a few made up Gorean words to add flavour to his setting. But really all the words spoken would be Gorean. The reader simply accepts that he’s reading a translation, because a novel written entirely in a made up fantasy language would be very hard going.

      Delete
    3. If I may add a brief comment to the language thing, what's been said for American terms also applies to Canada, so, freeway instead of motorway, etc. The obvious exception being Quebec, where most of the population speak French, though there are English speakers (mostly in the Montreal area) and also people who speak both. (I'm getting there in French, mais, c'est tres difficile, eh?)

      Delete
    4. Quote: "Spelling is therefore unimportant."

      Agreed, and thanks for the exposition on spelling vs. terminology.

      And once again, let me say how delighted I am to see you writing so prolifically.

      --jonnieo

      Delete
  5. Hi, Emma. Interesting that a man hauling a load of slaves would stop to pick up a traveller. Of course, a lone woman might make a fine addition to the cargo. Especially one with redhair, or apparent redhair anyway. Clarice, I mean Ashlee, might find out more than expected. Maybe even the destination of those missing women, that Jerry Reiss, Patrick Masters' friend could never find.
    I am sure that the surly truck driver might be willing to help Ashlee out of her wet clothes.
    - Tracker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Master, you think Henry might be transporting slaves?! Whatever gave you that idea?

      Delete
    2. Until proven otherwise we should assume that the crates contain lawn ornaments. Lawn ornaments that are sculptures of a scaly creature which yields "simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, on a base that appears to be fashioned in non-Euclidean geometry and made of a material that emits a strange color. It is only by analogy that you can call it a color at all.

      Delete
  6. So Americans spell it incorrectly? Are you sure about that? I would suggest checking out a series of videos on YouTube titled "Lost in the Pond" in which an ex-Pat Brit linguist delves into just who spells things incorrectly, or who speaks "proper English". You just might have a couple of surprises in store.
    I would point out that Henry Bryant speaks like no native of Western Massachusetts, and I hope we discover that he's from another part of the country. Rural Western Massachusetts is not rural Georgia or Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry’s speech isn’t meant to reflect the location, Master. I don’t necessarily tie speech patterns to current locations, mainly because I tend to choose speech to reflect character tropes, and these days (in the UK at least) there’s a high degree of globalisation in the way people speak anywhere in the country because of the mobility inherent in modern day society. I live in the South of England, but regularly talk to people with all manner of accents that don’t ever reflect the historical pedigree of the area.

      Delete
    2. Re: the differences in spelling, and I’m quoting here from the Oxford International English Schools site, The main difference is that British English keeps the spelling of words it has absorbed from other languages, mainly French and German. Whilst American English spellings are based mostly on how the word sounds when it is spoken.

      English was introduced to what is modern day America in the 17th century by the British settlers. Since then the language has evolved and has been influenced by the many waves of immigration to the USA.

      The spelling of British English words were cemented by Samuel Johnson in what is considered to be one of the most famous dictionaries in the world. It took Johnson, and six helpers, just over eight years to curate the 40,000 words that appeared in ‘A Dictionary of the English Language’, which was published in 1755.

      Similarly in America ‘A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language’ was first printed in 1806 and popularised the American English spellings that were being used instead of the British English spellings of words, such as color instead of colour.

      The author was Noah Webster who followed up the original dictionary in 1828 with his ‘An American Dictionary of the English Language’ which had over 70,000 words.

      Delete
    3. It just occurred to me, actually, that there’s something of an analogy that can be made in terms of my blog versus John Norman’s writing. As John Norman is the original, he dictates what everything is, and how it works. If Mr Norman suddenly turned round and retrospectively made significant changes to established Gorean lore, none of which is reflected in my writings, or even any of his previous writings, then basically he is right and I’m wrong. It doesn’t matter that he’s gone and contradicted himself and I haven’t – he gets to decide what Gor is.

      In the same way the ‘English’ English language can evolve over the centuries, but whatever it becomes is the ‘official’ language because it’s the ‘John Norman standard’.

      Delete
  7. "And can I just point out with my cheeky face on, that I spell everything correctly, and it’s you lovely Americans who spell everything wrong. 😉 The language is called ‘English’ for a reason, remember. It does exactly what it says on the tin."

    Quite right

    ReplyDelete