Sunday 16 June 2019

Daughter of Gor by Olga Turlovna - Introduction


Daughter of Gor by Olga Turlovna is essentially the inspiration for my whole Emma saga. It was published on the Internet in 2014 and to my knowledge is the first time someone set out to write a piece of fanfic set in John Norman's world that strived to be more than just a short BDSM scene (which until Olga came along was what Internet Gor fanfic amounted to). Inspired by the film Apocalypse Now (and the book Heart of Darkness the film was loosely based on), Olga crafted a full blown novel, originally serialised in three parts, that adapted the structure and plot of the film into a Gorean setting.


In Olga's book, Kurtz is a rogue Priest King agent who has gone 'native' in the region of Schendi and refuses to accept any further orders from his Priest King masters. Seeking to bring Kurtz back under control, other Priest King agents are sent down river into the dark jungle interior, but none of them make it back. Faced with the seemingly insurmountable problem of getting to Kurtz and living long enough to presumably kill him, the nest hive of the Sardar comes up with a rather unusual plan.

I thought Olga's novel was a work of genius in that it was simultaneously faithful to the central Gor concepts, and at the same time it dispensed with, shall we say, the more tedious aspects of Norman's writing. It was a rip-roaring adventure story complete with the sexy bits you'd expect in a Gor book.

By the time it was finished, Olga was burnt out with writing Gor, and save for a short story two years later, chose not to write any further Gor tales (I confess I routinely attempt to change her mind on that score). Inspired by the novel I contacted her and said I was thinking of writing my own story and could I essentially include aspects relating to her book, thereby making my work an official sequel. She said yes, and so I began work on Mistress of Gor. I was limited in what I could actually include from Daughter of Gor because most of the central characters weren't really in positions by the end of the book that I could make much use of them, but nevertheless Daughter of Gor is in the same fictional universe as all of the Emma stories, and when Book 6 (Gods of Gor) is written, my series will be returning to the jungles of Schendi where Kurtz had his encampment.

For this version of Daughter of Gor, the wonderful Chloe spent a lot of time coming up with bespoke art in the same style she does for the Emma books, therefore ensuring there is a common look across both Olga's and my work.

I really can't praise Olga's novel highly enough. Basically, if you like my work, you're going to love Daughter of Gor.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Olga's novel a 'work of genius'? Yes, I rather think you're right!

    ReplyDelete